Why Do You Ask For My Social Insurance Number?

Submitted 4 years ago by Dan Trepanier  | Jump to Story Comments1

Sometimes we get asked from an applicant 'Why do I have to provide my Social Insurance Number?' 


Service Canada's Website has a link to 'The most common uses of your Social Insurance Number (SIN)' 

In our case the program funder Service Canada must confirm participant eligability for the High Demand Youth Internship Program (HD-YIP).  As a general use the most common uses are for; 

  1. your employer
  2. your income tax information
  3. financial institutions from which you earn interest or income (for example, banks, credit unions, trust companies)
  4. Canada Pension Plan (CPP) or Régie des rentes du Québec (RRQ) benefits
  5. Employment Insurance (EI) program benefits
  6. Canada Education Savings Grants (CESG) and Registered Education Savings Plans (RESP)
  7. Child Tax Benefit
  8. Canada Student Loans
  9. Goods and Services Tax (GST) / Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) claims
  10. Social assistance benefits
  11. Veterans benefits and programs
  12. Workers Compensation benefits
  13. child support payments.

For a complete listing and brief description of the federal legislation and programs which are specifically permitted to use the SIN.

When don’t I have to provide my SIN?

Some private-sector organizations may ask for your SIN. This practice is strongly discouraged, but it is not illegal.

Here are examples of when you don’t have to give your Social Insurance Number or show your card:

  1. proving your identity (except for specific government programs)
  2. completing a job application before you get the job
  3. completing an application to rent a property
  4. negotiating a lease with a landlord
  5. completing credit card application
  6. cashing a cheque
  7. applying for a video club membership
  8. completing some banking transactions (mortgage, line of credit, loan)
  9. completing a medical questionnaire
  10. renting a car
  11. subscribing to long-distance or cellular telephone services
  12. writing a will
  13. applying to a university or college.
Dan Trepanier

Once selected for this program your SIN Card is MANDATORY - we require a photocopy of the intern's Social Insurance Card. In the case of lost or stolen cards, we will accept a receipt signed by a Service Canada employee that can be requested when the Intern applies for a replacement card. This is a temporary measure and a copy of the replacement card is required for the employers file as soon as it is received and must be accompanied with the What's the Intern Payroll Confirmation Process?